Leader in Me Program
“We are the creative force of our life, and through our own decisions rather than our conditions, if we carefully learn to do certain things, we can accomplish those goals.”
~ Stephen R. Covey
What is Leader in Me?
Leader in Me (LiM) is an evidence-based, comprehensive-school improvement model—developed in partnership with educators—that empowers students with the leadership and life skills they need to thrive in the 21st century. (www.leaderinme.com)
Harriet Tubman Village Charter School has embraced and implemented Leader in Me program in developing a culture of leadership based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® by Stephen Covey.
Founded on internationally recognized and universal principles, Leader in Me model emphasizes skills parents, teachers, and business leaders want and students need to be successful in an ever-changing society – skills of accountability, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, responsibility, problem solving, communication and teamwork – and they are taught and developed in our students.
Developing a culture of leadership is about inspiring children to be leaders of their own lives; it helps them identify their own unique talents and abilities and encourages them to make a positive difference in the world.
Leader in Me is not a program or a curriculum. It is an integrated approach to leadership development that will help our school fulfill its mission to prepare each of our students for success in high school, college and career.
Our Leader in Me Journey
To date, Harriet Tubman Village Charter School has accomplished the following:
- Integrated a common language and leadership development approach based on the 7 Habits in every classroom and within our before/after school program
- Implemented “Lighthouse Action Teams” to further develop and implement The Leader in Me Approach throughout our school
- Designated a Lighthouse Coordinator to guide, plan, and strategize our journey with the program
- Provided training for over all of our employees in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® by Stephen Covey.
- Completed Implementation Training for all employees.
- Provided a Leader in Me coach from FranklinCovey to support long term implementation
We Invite You To...
- Visit The Leader in Me website http://www.theleaderinme.org/
- Read The Leader in Me, 2nd Edition, by Dr. Stephen R. Covey.
- Ask your child about the 7 Habits
- Begin with the End in Mind (Habit #2): Set a goal, track progress and celebrate!Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Dr. Stephen Covey.
- Model the 7 Habits in your family
- Create a Family Mission Statement
What are the 7 Habits?
Habit One: Be Proactive
- I have a "Can Do" attitude.
- I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I don't blame others. I do the right thing without being asked, even if nobody is looking.
Habit Two: Begin with the End in Mind
- I plan ahead and set goals.
- I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
Habit Three: Put First Things First
- I spend my time on things that are most important.
- This means I say no to things I should not do.
- I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am organized.
Habit Four: Think Win-Win
- I want everyone to be a success. I don't have to put others down to get what I want. It makes me happy to see other people happy. I like to do nice things for others. When a conflict arrives, I help brainstorm a solution. We all can win!
Habit Five: Seek First To Listen, Then to Be Understood
- I listen to other people's ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints.
- I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas.
Habit Six: Synergize
- I value other people's strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different from me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems. I know that "two heads are better than one". I am a better person when I let other people into my life and work.
Habit Seven: Sharpen the Saw
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places.