August 3rd, 2022
Dear Tubman Families,
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year! I hope you are having a wonderful summer break and are feeling excited for the start of a new school year.
This letter provides an overview of important information about the start of the school year.
Our theme for this school year is READ TO LEAD. By developing our reading skills, we will become better readers to become better leaders.
Starting on the first day of school, Monday, August 29th, we will have the important task of helping students adjust to the academic and behavioral expectations of a new school year. We will need the support from all of our parents and students to ensure consistent punctuality and attendance throughout the year.
Reminders for the Start of the School Year
We will begin the school year on Monday, August 29th, please note the changes our daily schedule:
- School begins promptly each day at 8:30am
- Student-leaders may not be dropped off before 8am, unless enrolled into our Expanded Learning Program.
- Once the doors open at 8am, student-leaders will have the option to have “hot” breakfast served at the lunch tables until 8:25am.
- Students who do not want breakfast will go directly to their classrooms
- Student-leaders are expected to be seated in their classrooms and ready to learn each school day by 8:30am.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday student-leader dismissal is at 3pm
- Every Wednesday is a modified day with 1:00pm dismissal.
- Please refer to the school calendar for other holidays, minimum days, and days of observance.
Back to School BBQ & Student-Leader Schedules
Student-leaders will have a chance to meet their Teacher and Staff at the Back to School BBQ on Thursday, August 25th from 4:00pm - 7:00pm. This is a fun event and we will have food, music, games, jumpers, and a dunk tank for entertainment! If you are unable to attend the Back to School BBQ, a schedule will be placed in front of the school when school starts on Monday, August 29th.
Dress Code Updates
All student-leaders are expected to wear uniforms Monday - Thursday. On Fridays, there will be Tubman Spirit Day for our student-leaders. To promote a greater sense of belonging and consistency, please refer to the “Student Dress Code” section on the school website for more information.
Harriet Tubman Village Charter School will begin the school year with a “mask choice” option for our campus, meaning student-leaders and staff may choose whether or not they wear a face covering in all indoor or outdoor locations. For student illness and COVID-exposure incidents, we will follow the most current version of the COVID-19 Decision Tree for K-12 Schools to inform the return-to-school procedures for students and staff. Please contact the front office with any questions–we are happy to help.
Student-Leader Dismissal Procedures
We will have TK-5th grade student-leaders drop-off and pick-up on Mohawk St. For 6th-8th grade student-leaders, drop-off and pick-up will be at the lower field park on Saranac St. We will dismiss student-leaders as the parent/guardian arrives at school.
Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (Before & After School)
Tubman offers an Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELOP) to elementary and middle school student-leaders. ELOP is free to all participating families and operates before and after school every school day. Participating student-leaders are expected to attend every day they attend school for the full range of hours offered. ELOP offers academic support and extra-curricular activities in a physically and emotionally safe environment. We maintain a student-leader to staff ratio of 20:1 for K-8th grade students & 10:1 for Transitional Kindergarten.
ELOP Hours of Operation
Before School Program: M-F 6:45 am-8:30 am
After School Program Hours: M-TH: 3:00pm-6:00pm, W: 1:00-6:00pm
- Priority enrollment will be given to students in grades TK-6th who are identified by the program as an unduplicated pupil; foster/homeless youth, English learners, and/or meet income or categorical eligibility requirements for free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch Program.
- Your child(ren) must be enrolled at Tubman during the regular school day for the current school year
- First come, first serve (following priority enrollment)
You can apply for ELOP by going to our school website: www.tubmancharter.org, going to the Student Tab and clicking on PowerSchool - Student/Parent Login. When you log-on, on the left hand of the screen, you will see a tab named "Forms". Click it and fill out the ASES/ 21st CCLC Expanded Learning Program Application. Please contact our ELOP Registrar Samantha Moreno for assistance: [email protected].
Additional information will be shared via Class Dojo and on School Messenger in the weeks ahead. Please stay up-to-date as we begin the school year. Lastly, please be on the lookout for important 2022-2023 documents required for all student-leaders, including (1) Household Income Data Form, and (2) Tubman Student and Parent Handbook Signature Page.
If you have any questions regarding the new school year, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call (619) 668-8635 ext. 2099. On behalf of the faculty and staff, I would like to thank you for choosing Harriet Tubman Village Charter School and look forward to supporting you and your family as we begin the new school year. Go Tigers!
CEO & Principal
Harriet Tubman Village Charter School
(619) 668-8635 ext. 2099