August 3rd, 2023
Welcome to the 2023-24 School Year!
I hope this letter finds you well and rested, as we gear up for another exciting school year!
This year, we will continue to focus on academic excellence and our development of character and leadership. Our theme this year is LEADERS ARE BUILT HERE.
Tubman is a special place where student-leaders thrive, achieve their potential, and discover their passions. I am confident that, working together, we will build upon these achievements and create an even stronger, more supportive learning environment. As the school year unfolds, I assure you that my door will always be open to lend a listening ear and provide consistent support.
Reminders for the Start of the School Year
We will begin the school year on Monday, August 21st
- School begins promptly each day at 8:30am
- Student-leaders may not be dropped off before 8am, unless enrolled into our Expanded Learning Program.
- Once the doors open at 8am, student-leaders will have the option to have “hot” breakfast served at the lunch tables until 8:20am.
- Students who do not want breakfast will go directly to their classrooms
- Student-leaders are expected to be seated in their classrooms and ready to learn each school day by 8:30am.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday student-leader dismissal is at 3pm
- Every Wednesday is a modified day with 1:00pm dismissal.
- Please refer to the school calendar for other holidays, minimum days, and days of observance.
Back to School BBQ & Student-Leader Schedules
Student-leaders will have a chance to meet their Teacher and Staff at the Back to School BBQ on Thursday, August 17th, from 4:00pm - 7:00pm. This is a fun event and we will have food, music and games for entertainment!
Dress Code Updates
All student-leaders are expected to wear uniforms Monday - Wednesday. On Thursdays, it is Tubman Spirit Day. On Fridays, there will be Free Dress for our student-leaders. To promote a greater sense of belonging and consistency, please refer to the “Student Dress Code” section on the school website for more information.
Student-Leader Dismissal Procedures
We will have TK-5th grade student-leaders drop-off and pick-up on Mohawk St. For 6th-8th grade student-leaders, drop-off and pick-up will be at the lower field park on Saranac St. We will dismiss student-leaders as the parent/guardian arrives at school.
Attention all students and music enthusiasts! We are thrilled to announce the launch of an exciting new music program at our school! Get ready to embark on a musical journey that will bring harmony, creativity, and joy into your lives.
- Instrumental Classes: Whether you're a beginner or have some musical experience, our program caters to all levels. Learn to play a variety of instruments.
- Performance Opportunities: Showcase your talent and perform in school events, concerts, and talent shows. Gain confidence and applause as you share your musical gifts
Letter Grades for 4th - 8th grade
Grades will reflect a student's mastery of the learning objectives defined for the class. Students are expected to complete and submit work on time. Parents may actively monitor student performance by checking grades in Powerschool/Schoology. In addition to checking Powerschool/Schoology, students will receive progress reports at the midpoint of each trimester. You may see this system when checking a student’s grade on Powerschool/Schoology or on a school issued report card.
- A = 100-90
- B = 89-80
- C = 79-70
- D = 69-60
- F = 59-0
Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (Before & After School)
Tubman offers an Expanded Learning Opportunities Program (ELOP) to elementary and middle school student-leaders. ELOP operates before and after school every school day. Participating student-leaders are expected to attend every day they attend school for the full range of hours offered. ELOP offers academic support and extra-curricular activities in a physically and emotionally safe environment. We maintain a student-leader to staff ratio of 20:1 for 1st-8th grade students & 10:1 for TK/Kindergarten.
ELOP Hours of Operation
Before School Program: M-F 6:45 am-8:30 am
After School Program Hours: M,T,TH,F: 3:00pm-6:00pm, W: 1:00-6:00pm
- Priority enrollment will be given to students in grades TK-6th who are identified by the program as an unduplicated pupil; foster/homeless youth, English learners, and/or meet income or categorical eligibility requirements for free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch Program.
- Your child(ren) must be enrolled at Tubman during the regular school day for the current school year
- First come, first serve (following priority enrollment)
You can apply for ELOP by going to our school website: www.tubmancharter.org, going to the Programs tab and clicking on the link under “ELOP/ASES 2023-2024 Form” After submitting this initial interest form, you will be contacted by our registrar if your child has been accepted and we will provide further instructions. Please contact our ELOP Registrar Samantha Moreno for assistance: [email protected]. There will be a mandatory parent orientation @ the Welcome Back BBQ August 17th 6:00pm located in the auditorium.
Additional information will be shared via Class Dojo and on School Messenger in the weeks ahead. Please stay up-to-date as we begin the school year. Lastly, please be on the lookout for important 2023-2024 documents required for all student-leaders, including (1) Household Income Data Form, and (2) Tubman Student and Parent Handbook Signature Page.
If you have any questions regarding the new school year, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thank you for choosing to be a part of the Tubman family. Together, we can make a lasting difference in the lives of our student-leaders and the broader community. Go Tigers!
CEO & Principal
Harriet Tubman Village Charter School
(619) 668-8635 ext. 2099